[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 6 16:07:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:14:07 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008 1:41 PM, Frank Lanitz <linux at partysoke.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:10:04 +0100
> > Frank Lanitz <linux at partysoke.de> also wrote:
> >

> > > But if there will be a big number of Lua plugins or maybe in
> > > future some written in Python I could imagine to have some kind
> > > of plugin manager allowing downloading of plugins from a central
> > > server. But not for plugins written in C.
> >
> > I have to revert myself a bit. I could imagine to build up
> > something, that works like a frontend to wget, configure and make:
> > Downloading a src-tarball from central server, extracting it and run
> > the triple to install it. Well... to be honest: I'm not sure and
> > should be better quiet ;D
>
> I think, Frank, that in your previous post you hit the nail on the
> head. Users, in general, will probably not want to write their Geany
> plug-ins in C. And plug-ins written in a HLL like Lua are easily
Lua is high-level programming level and C not? At least some years ago
C was also a high-level programming language ;-).
SCNR.

> So, if the Lua plug-in came standard with Geany, it would probably be
> good for Geany to provide some central archive of Lua plug-ins. But,
> at this point (without having the Lua plug-in in the core), if users
> are writing plug-ins in Lua, maybe they could let Jeff know -- and if
> the number of them hits some critical mass, Jeff might even start his
> own archive. ;)
It would be cool to have something like the mentioned "plugin manager"
which downloads, build(if necessary) and install various plugins by one
click and without any further user interaction. I'm not against
something like this.
But I think this could (and should) be done itself as a plugin and I
won't work on this.