[Geany] Plugin licensing ( was Common SVN...)

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Fri Jan 4 16:44:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 8:23 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> But I suggest any further discussion on this topic
> should be done in a new thread.

I don't know if it really merits its own thread,
but here goes...

> The easiest thing would be to remove this phrase
> but are we allowed to?

I would say you can, unless somebody who contributed
to geany in the past objects to it. If they do, you
can either add the phrase back in again, or simply
remove or re-implement the code they contributed.

> Besides any lethal considerations which I don't know,
> in my opinion the choice of the licence of plugins
> is independent from Geany's licence as long as it is
> compatible with GPLv2.

I agree, as long as the plugin is distributed separately.

But if a plugin's source is distributed along with Geany,
then it would add the extra burden of explaining any small
nuances between the way the plugin interprets the GPL
(v2 only) and the way Geany currently sees it (v2 or later)

I suppose that's still not a problem, just a possible
source of confusion.

 - Jeff