[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Thu Jan 3 21:05:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 2:28 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> it would seem to me that Geany would benefit from having
> a plug-in manager that could download and install plug-ins.

That would be a great feature, but it could get really
complicated. How would you handle the networking code?

It would be possible to write it from scratch, but it
would be easier to rely on some some ready-made library,
but that adds yet another dependency to Geany. I guess
most Linux boxes will have libcurl, and possibly we
could use wininet.dll on windows. I know Firefox uses
SSL for downloading extensions, I don't guess we really
need to go that far, but that would mean also depending
on something like OpenSSL or GnuTLS.

Then there is also the question of what sort of repository
to use, so that Geany knows where and how to look for the
available plugins, and some means of checking compatibilty.

For starters, maybe if we just had a consistent package
format for the plugins, and a plugin manager that could
install/uninstall them from local hard drive, then maybe
we could work out the networking stuff later.

 - Jeff