[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Thu Jan 3 01:11:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 6:09 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But since there's no central archive of plug-ins yet,
> and no plug-in manager capable of grabbing plug-ins
> from elsewhere on the 'Net and installing them for you,
> it would seem to make the most sense to just include
> the Lua plug-in with Geany (if Jeff were amenable to that).

I don't see any big problems with that, I would be happy to have
the Lua plugin distributed with the current/stable/offical/release
of Geany, but as far as trying to maintain the plugin from inside
the Geany SVN tree, things could get a little more complicated -
what happens when someone from the Geany team makes a change to
the Geany code that breaks something in the plugin? That means
either the Geany team takes responsibility for fixing the plugin,
or else the SVN users end up with a checkout that won't compile.

Another small nit I have is with the "or any later version" clause
in the Geany license - somehow the idea of agreeing to enter into
a contract that hasn't been written yet doesn't seem to me like a
very wise thing to do. What if GPL-v4 says: "the author agrees to pay
all users of this software $1000 USD per bug report" , well, I don't
think I want to give users the option of choosing THAT version :-)

- Jeff