[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jan 3 00:09:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 6:41 PM, Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:47:56PM +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>

> > We could add a separate path(outside of the Geany source directory) for
> > external plugins in Geany's Subversion repository and give plugin
> > authors access to it.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in using it, just ask.
>
> I think it can be used as a way of distributing. What if we
> add such repo as external reference to geany main tree
> and compile external plugins if configure option is set?
>
> So:
> be very nice
> svn up
> ./configure --with-external-plugins
> make
> make install
>
> will compile and install geany and all available plugins.
>
> It will be much easier for users to find plugin he/she want.
>
> Best regards,
> Yura Siamashka

From a user's perspective, having the high-level language plug-in
"just work" is, IMO, most important.

A Lua user who wants to try out Geany and write some plug-in code will
want to just grab the Geany code, "./configure; make; make install"
and then have a local directory (like ./geany/plug-ins/lua or
something) to drop their code into and have it be available when they
restart Geany. It probably shouldn't be any more difficult than that,
and there should be very little that could go wrong, IMO.

Down the road, if there are very many Geany plug-ins available, at
that point it would probably be nice to have a plug-in manager capable
of downloading and installing plug-ins from some central archive (I
think jEdit has something like this). Maybe such a plug-in manager
could install the Lua plug-in for you. But since there's no central
archive of plug-ins yet, and no plug-in manager capable of grabbing
plug-ins from elsewhere on the 'Net and installing them for you, it
would seem to make the most sense to just include the Lua plug-in with
Geany (if Jeff were amenable to that).

Just my 2 cents.

---John