[Geany] first experiences with geany, and some questions

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 20 15:03:29 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 19/07/06 22:25:46, John Gabriele wrote:
> > On 7/19/06, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:33:39 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> >> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> > Ahh.. ok. I see. The filetypes.foo file knows *all* about the foo
> > language. Keywords, syntax highlighting colors, everything. Hm... but,
> > I'd like to be able to have the same colorscheme for all my files --
> > whether it's a config file in /etc, a Ruby source file, a C file,
> > etc... Looks like I need to edit my own
> > ~/.geany/filedefs/filetypes.common as well as the others in there too.
> > I think it would be very nice if syntax highlighting color schemes
> > could be abstracted out of the filetypes files. This way the editor
> > could provide *two* separate settings here: filetype, *and*
> > colorscheme.
>
> Yes at some point we will have the default highlighting all in one file
> so it can be used for all filetypes.

Great. Looking forward to it. :) Meantime, I'll look more into how to
use the current setup.

> > Incidentally, search/replace seems a bit scary: when I hit the Replace
> > button, I don't really have any way of knowing which text it's going
> > to replace next. I think what might be better is to have a Find button
> > that takes you to the next bit of found text, then also provide
> > "Replace" and "Replace and Find again" buttons as well.
>
> I've been meaning to do this, will be done soon.

That'll be a very nice improvement. Thank you.

> >> are
> >>
> >> Regexps are passed to Scintilla.
> >> The regexps are described here
> >> http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s04.html
> >> and since yesterday(so only in the SVN version) POSIX-like regexps
> >> are
> >> also possible.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand. What's the difference between the regexes
> > that the stable version of geany supports and posix regexes?
>
> The difference is that bracket matching uses plain brackets according
> to a POSIX-like regex syntax, instead of the Scintilla default which
> was to escape the brackets, but not the other regex characters.

Ah. Ok, so, the older syntax was \(this\), but the newer is (this).

But, \<this\> stays the same I guess.

>The
> online documentation will catch up soon (as of now it shows the 0.7
> syntax). Basically this is closer to the way grep interprets regexes by
> default.
>
> For example, if the search string was Fred([1-9])XXX and the replace
> string was Sam\1YYY, when applied to Fred2XXX this would generate
> Sam2YYY.
>
> Support for back references in the replace text was added on tuesday.

You folks are moving geany forward at a quick pace! :)

---John