[Geany] first experiences with geany, and some questions

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jul 20 10:50:07 UTC 2006

On 19/07/06 22:25:46, John Gabriele wrote:
> On 7/19/06, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:33:39 -0400, "John Gabriele"
>> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
> Ahh.. ok. I see. The filetypes.foo file knows *all* about the foo
> language. Keywords, syntax highlighting colors, everything. Hm... but,
> I'd like to be able to have the same colorscheme for all my files --
> whether it's a config file in /etc, a Ruby source file, a C file,
> etc... Looks like I need to edit my own
> ~/.geany/filedefs/filetypes.common as well as the others in there too.
> I think it would be very nice if syntax highlighting color schemes
> could be abstracted out of the filetypes files. This way the editor
> could provide *two* separate settings here: filetype, *and*
> colorscheme.
Yes at some point we will have the default highlighting all in one file
so it can be used for all filetypes.

> BTW, I see that setting "Document --> Set File Type --> Config file"
> works good for editing these filetypes.foo files. Though, after I set
> a file type, I think it should place a checkmark next to the menu item
> for the current setting (next to "Config file" in this case).
This will be done by 1.0.

> Incidentally, search/replace seems a bit scary: when I hit the Replace
> button, I don't really have any way of knowing which text it's going
> to replace next. I think what might be better is to have a Find button
> that takes you to the next bit of found text, then also provide
> "Replace" and "Replace and Find again" buttons as well.
I've been meaning to do this, will be done soon.

>> > And also, a few other questions:
>> >
>> > Regarding regexes, what library does geany use for those? pcre, or
>> are
>> > you rolling your own?
>>
>> Regexps are passed to Scintilla.
>> The regexps are described here
>> http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s04.html
>> and since yesterday(so only in the SVN version) POSIX-like regexps
>> are
>> also possible.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. What's the difference between the regexes
> that the stable version of geany supports and posix regexes?
The difference is that bracket matching uses plain brackets according
to a POSIX-like regex syntax, instead of the Scintilla default which
was to escape the brackets, but not the other regex characters. The
online documentation will catch up soon (as of now it shows the 0.7
syntax). Basically this is closer to the way grep interprets regexes by
default.

For example, if the search string was Fred([1-9])XXX and the replace
string was Sam\1YYY, when applied to Fred2XXX this would generate
Sam2YYY.

Support for back references in the replace text was added on tuesday.

> Oh, one other thing I just noticed: under the "Build" menu it says
> "Execute", but the icon on the button bar says "Run". You might
> consider changing the one under Build to say "Run" also.
OK, will do.

Regards,
Nick