[Geany-devel] Default search behavior is irritating

Nathan Broadbent nathan.f77 at xxxxx
Sat Dec 3 09:24:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

It took me a little while to find the Search preferences. I did not expect
them to be filed under 'General' -> 'Miscellaneous'.
>From a usability perspective: In my attempt to configure search, I first
looked in "Editor", and then "Interface".

I was getting very irritated with the message "<keyword> not found. Wrap
search and try again?". It happened every time I searched for something
while my cursor was near the bottom of a document. Now I am finding that
the "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" setting is insufficient,
since my personal preference is to always wrap search, but keep the find
dialog open.

So may I please request the following modifications to search:

   - Move the 'Search' preferences to 'Editor' -> 'Search & Replace',
   instead of 'General' -> 'Miscellaneous'
   - Remove the "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" setting.
   - Add a 'Wrap search' checkbox to the Find dialog, below the 'Close
   dialog' checkbox.
   - Make 'Wrap search' checked by default.

Best regards,
Nathan B