[Geany-Users] filetype, lexer, config file: using a new language

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Sat May 21 15:14:38 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I'd like to use the [Hare](https://harelang.org/) programming language
with Geany. I see that the C syntax highlighting works ok so far (and
it appears that [Lexilla](https://github.com/ScintillaOrg/lexilla)
(which I understand Geany makes use of) supports C, C++, Java, and JS
all using the same lexer:
https://github.com/ScintillaOrg/lexilla/blob/master/lexers/LexCPP.cxx

Anyhow, when I open a .ha file (Hare source file) with Geany, I'd like
for it to just use the C syntax highlighting automatically, so I don't
have to manually select it each time. How can I get that to work?

I'm on GNU/Linux, and I see that I've got a ~/.config/geany directory.

Looking at the manual, I don't understand the different axes of
filetype def files vs config files ...

I see that I have a /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.c file.
Do I copy that to my ~/.config/geany/filedefs dir? After that, what
do I change in that file?

Also, why do some of the files in /usr/share/geany/filedefs end in
.conf while others don't?

Thanks!