[Geany-Users] Can these portable windows builds be trusted?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 29 13:30:18 UTC 2021

Hi,

>> Some time ago (few years) I searched for portable windows build.
>> There's one, at PortableApps, but that's what I found now:
>> https://portableapps.com/apps/development/geany_portable
>>
>> What I found previously is for version 1.24:
>> with filename GeanyPortable_1.24.paf.exe
>> I don't remember where I got it that time, so I assume it has same
>> source, although I never used it. I searched it mainly because learning
>> in university, where machines use windows, so using portable version
>> was the only way in case of need to get geany on windows for some
>> reason. But it so happened, that I never had such need (just carried
>> laptop with myself).
>>
>> Now I went across this file and decided to check for updates. What's
>> interesting - publisher is named 'Geany Team', with url leading to
>> geany site. However, I found no info, leading to portableapps, at
>> download page, github tracker and users mailing lists (though I did not
>> check other lists yet).
>>
>> So question - can that publisher be trusted, is it really related to
>> geany team?
>
> AFAIK none of the Geany team are involved in the publication of the
> portable app, so we have no idea if it is trustworthy or not.

There is definitely no one of the Geany team involved in those builds.
Many years ago, we had contact with one of the maintainers of this
portable build package but this does not mean we checked the resulting
app. Also, since this is long ago, the current maintainer might have
changed.

> It is mentioned on the website at the "Third Party Packages" page, but
> that does not mean that it is endorsed by or in any way checked by the
> Geany project.

Exactly, it is third party and so can only be trusted if you can trust
the third party.

I'm afraid you need to check yourself if it is acceptable for you to use
this app or not. We cannot guarantee this package is safe to use.

Get my GPG key from https://www.uvena.de/pub.asc