[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jun 18 03:52:41 UTC 2021

> Ok, fine.
> I was rather referring to that we probably want to mention the channel
> on the website as one possibility of getting and giving support.

I don't think it should be mentioned as if its an official "support"
method unless it is clear there are actually active aware Geany
experts available.  That doesn't have to be just devs, some of the
other well known and knowledgeable contributors would occasionally
answer questions on IRC (thanks all) and presumably that would
continue.  But there were long periods of crickets chirping on there
too when questions went unanswered.  So calling it a "support" method
is setting an expectation that is likely to disappoint users unless
more active participation is certain.

I'm not saying don't mention it, but under "Other" something like
"There is a Geany <Matrix thingy> at #abc:def.ghi where someone might
be able to help if you have a question, but it is not guaranteed
anyone is available" or similar.

> > If you want to write a bot to get the history on geany.org, or to serve
> > coffee and drinks, then that's another story. However, the protocol (and
> > python API for it) has been stable in my personal experience.
>
> I know it will be very hard for Lex but no, I don't want to have again
> that bot and logs on the website and all this.
> I set this stuff up more than ten years ago and at that time I thought
> it's absolutely necessary and the hottest stuff :).

Has it only been around ten years? Or are you just trying to hide how
olde we are all getting ;-)