[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 15 21:17:20 UTC 2021

On 15.06.21 03:22, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 10:37, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Just don't put a notice in the channel topic else it might get hijacked[0].
>>>

>> Yeah.
>>
>> Freenode just kicked everybody off and requires re-registering, so I
>> think [0] has already happened.  I'm not gonna bother.
>
> Oh, its now "the new freenode" and won't connect until I re-register
> the nic, I'm afraid this kind of BS games means I'm out as far as IRC
> goes.
>
> (Not so)Cheers

:(
I have to agree so much.

>> Enrico, I suggest the website should remove mention of IRC and point
>> questions to github discussions since it is already set up.  At least
>> until something else is arranged

I've prepared the website update:
https://github.com/geany/www.geany.org/pull/30

I'm going to merge this soon, probably on Saturday or Sunday.
For now, we would remove IRC altogether from the website without any
replacement.

We could add Github discussions but this can be discussed before in
contrary to the already somewhat "hijacked" Freenode IRC channels.