[Geany-Users] extended characters

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Jan 16 21:45:39 UTC 2021

Le 15/01/2021 à 17:14, Ray Andrews a écrit :
> All:
>
> I can enter UTF-8 characters using the ever so easy to remember
> "CTRL+SHIFT+u ... four digits ... ENTER" method, but it won't save:
>
> "An error occurred while converting the file from UTF-8 in "ISO-8859-1".
> The file remains unsaved."
>
> Is there a solution?  Actually I don't even need UTF, but I would like
> to add, say ASCII #127 or another ASCII extended character.

127 is not extended ASCII, but apparently whether or not it's really
part of ISO-8859-1 is questionable (mostly because it's not really in
the C0 group).

In any case, entering a Unicode character in any way should work, and
you should be able to save it *so long as it can be represented in the
target encoding*.  And that's a big "if", as e.g. ISO-8859-1 only has
194 printable characters, and anyway only 256 possible values.  And
beware that all ISO-8859-* tables are different and don't support the
same set of characters -- there is some overlap, but each is unique.
The message you see suggests your target encoding is ISO-8859-1 and it
can't represent one of of the characters you entered.  Maybe ISO-8859-15
could?  or another one.

All this said, I fully support Matthew's take on this: as of 2021,
non-Unicode encodings should be left to backward compatibility
requirements with historic software.  And UTF-8 is by far my favorite
one, if for any reason because it provides US-ASCII compatibility.