[Geany-Users] Wrong mimetype when opening files from Geany

D.T. ohnonot-github at xxxxx
Sat Feb 20 19:18:34 UTC 2021

When I open e.g. shell scripts without any .sh extension, geany
categorizes them as "application/octet-stream", which, afaiu, is a
fancy way of saying "this could be anything".
This is mostly apparent in the icon assigned to the file, both in
Geany's file browser plugin, but also in ~/.local/share/recently-
used.xbel, an application-independent list of, well, recently used
files. This wrong mimetype then sticks around there (other apps do not
change it for that file once it is set).

When I analyse such files with 'gio info', I get 2 content types:
  standard::content-type: application/x-shellscript
  standard::fast-content-type: application/octet-stream
So afaics Geany always chooses the "fast" type?

Version 1.37.1, the issue occurs on 2 Archlinux installations and
someone using Geany on Debian Stable (Bunsenlabs) reports not having
that issue.

I'm not a coder, but I'd be happy to get some help understanding, and
possibly help resolve it.

TIA,

o.