[Geany-Users] Using Geany via ssh

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at xxxxx
Fri Feb 5 22:06:52 UTC 2021

On 2/5/21 6:21 AM, Gösta Ljungdahl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Reading the faq for Geany it appears that it does not support remote
> editing via ssh. But it seems like it works fine to fire up remotely
> Geany via ssh with x11 forwarding and use it for work on the remote file
> system. I’m really just using a remote display, mouse and keyboard all
> via ssh. Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gösta Ljungdahl

Hi Gösta,

Geany is my code editor of choice on ssh.

My run string looks like:

Fedora 33:
$ ssh -l todd -t -X -p xxxx  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

It opens a command window and I fire off Geany
from there.

You do have to get ssh working first though.

Other code editors fall on their noses over ssh
as they are so very, very bloated.

HTH,
-T