[Geany-Users] How to launch geany as root

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Aug 14 11:32:33 UTC 2021

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 at 20:45, Budi <budikusasi at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do we launch geany as root with the same geany setting of non-root / normal
> user geany
>
> tried to do such and kept on being end up with another 'strange' geany
>
> How actually correct way to launch the same geany, but now it's as root

First of all note it is discouraged to run Geany as root, it is an
application that runs arbitrary commands and accesses files and as
such is a significant risk running it as root, and every file you
touch will end up owned by root, which is often an issue after you
exit root.

That includes any config, or project files you use from root, so
sharing them with a non-root Geany is not possible.

Also Geany will refuse to open a socket of another user, so root can't
use Geany where the socket would be in the same place as an existing
Geany.

Since you have provided no information how you run Geany as root nor
described what "strange" means and we can't see your system, it is not
possible to help more.

In general it is better to not use Geany or any other complex IDE to
edit files as root, use a simple editor or if it is a complex file and
you really want to use Geany, open the file in a user Geany, save it
elsewhere (eg /tmp) and then copy it as root.