[Geany-Users] Can't figure out "Project Organizer"

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Aug 7 00:20:47 UTC 2021

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 10:10, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2021-08-06, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> How do you get it to index the source files so you can search for
> >> functions, variables, etc? The "Reload All" button does nothing. The
> >> only symbols that show up in the sidebar are for currently opened
> >> files.
> >
> > With a project open, project properties, project organiser tab, it
> > should (IIUC) index all the files with the header and body patterns
> > but not the exclude and exclude directory patterns when the dropdown
> > below says, auto, yes, no.  If its auto, then automajikally, if yes at
> > least on project open, if no, manually only, as you point out below.
>
> I opened that project organizer property pane, verified the patterns,
> and changed indexing to "yes". Then I saved that pane saving that pane
> does nothing. No symbols show up in sidebar.  Same for clicking the
> reload button: "no symbols found" in teh Symbols pane of the sidebar.
>
> The only way I can get symbols to show up in the sidebar is to
> actually open source files in the editor pane.

As I said I'm not an expert on PO, but I think "yes" only means on project open.

Symbols don't show in the symbols pane, it just shows symbols for the
current file.  Normally Geany only creates symbols for the files that
are open, which means that highlighting and parsing and so on do not
know about symbols from closed files.  What PO is supposed to do is to
create the symbols for the _closed_ files as well so they are
available to the parser for open files and are available for search
etc.  They are not shown anywhere.