[Geany-Users] proper upgrade technique

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at xxxxx
Mon Nov 16 13:49:59 UTC 2020

My plan was to wait until 1.38 is released and then re-install Geany
with GTK3.  It would be a big distraction for me as I have a good
working Geany at the moment and am busy with projects.

For the record I have double checked my paths and they are the debian
defaults:
~$ sudo -i
~# echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

I have only a very superficial knowledge of autotools, but have located
all the instances of ldconfig in Geany 1.36 source. I see how the paths
for ldconfig are set up in config.status, libtool, configure, libtol.m4.
The ubuntu fix is only in Makefile.am, Makefile, Makefile.in. Is it
possible for some distro to put ldconfig in some location not involving
sbin?

I was wondering if one could discover where ldconfig was located by
invoking 'whereis' in the autotools, and then prefixing the path to
ldconfig.  Maybe this is what Lex meant by hard coding? But in this way
one is not making any assumptions about the location of ldconfig.

I really do appreciate the work you are doing here - thanks!

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582