[Geany-Users] proper upgrade technique

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at xxxxx
Mon Nov 9 13:17:14 UTC 2020

I have successfully installed 1.36 on Debian Buster, and similar
procedures might be relevant for Ubuntu. In Buster,  1.33 is in the
repos, but I was alarmed to find that debugger-plugin had been dropped.

After a few false starts, I ended up with the following to build
1.36(GTK-2):
1. Save all my system and local config
2. Purge existing geany.
3. ~$ ./configure
4. ~$ make
5. ~$ sudo -s make install

The Geany documentation for step 5 says
6. ~$ sudo make install
On Debian that failed because of path problems locating ldconfig.

After installing the plugins, debugger did not immediately show up in
the plugin list in spite of restart. But it did the next day - may have
required a reboot.

Anyway, the debugger is working fine and an improvement on what we had
before!

Hope this is of some use.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582