[Geany-Users] proper upgrade technique

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 9 03:21:08 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:45, Mike McCauley <mlmccauley50 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Under Ubuntu Linux, what is the recommended technique to upgrade Geany
> as newer versions are released?
>
> All I've been able to find online is info on how to do an initial
> install, and some upgrade suggestions that didn't work.

Thats because there is no such thing as an "upgrade" of Geany, a new
install replaces the old install (unless specially built to not do
that, which (AFAIK) no distros do).

> I've put a ton of time into customizing my install, and I for sure don't
> want to screw up and have an "upgrade trick" wipe all that out.

An upgrade won't touch any customising you did in your local configure
directories, but if you are one of those people who customised the
system files then yes it will overwrite them.  In that case you need
to copy the changes to a non-system configuration first and don't
touch system files again.

> I am only in interested in installing stable code, not bleeding edge
> development versions.

Distro versions are usually releases so thats as stable as it gets.
That doesn't mean that there are no issues with a release, but by the
time it has percolated through most distro systems it should be fairly
stable so long as its the latest micro point release for the platform
(1.37.0 for Linux, 1.37.1 for Windows as this is written).

If you want to upgrade bypassing the distro system, you can build
yourself with a different prefix so it doesn't overwrite an existing
version, thats how developers maintain multiple versions.