[Geany-Users] Incorrect icon path

bendov at gmx.com bendov at xxxxx
Wed Feb 5 23:13:07 UTC 2020

> Now I want to use my distro's stock package
You mean you got the icon error msg, when you tried installing your
(which) DISTRO'S Geany pkg?
What format is the repo pkg - deb?

I installed Mint's repo deb Geany pkg & it installed to:
/user/bin/geany /user/include/geany /user/share/geany.

I have no geany files or icons in the /usr/local/ path mentioned.
Apparently, the build installed files or something in your path about
geany icons in /usr/local/share... path.

Did you look for the files / paths mentioned & delete them?
Were you able to use "uninstall" of the build pkg?  (maybe best, if
it'll work).

My geany icons are in couple of places:

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/actions/geany-build.png and others in that general path.
Some are under Mint distro included themes (mint-x, mint-y...).  I don't know if Geany installed them to all those themes.  The modified dates on the icons are well before Mint was installed - so dunno.

An excellent search tool I use is included in Gnome Commander.  It'll find orphaned files & links - to delete manually.

It may / may not have a deb or similar pkg for your distro.  I built it in Mint.  There were several missing dependencies - I think all were in Mint's repo.  It worked fine.

The search function is super fast & shows as much about files as you want. Many times faster than Nemo's search (which won't search for hidden items).
GC finds EVERY thing associated w/ search terms.

Midnight Commander is another popular file mgr - haven't tried it.