[Geany-Users] Fwd: Re: Build on Debian Buster

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Dec 14 19:30:03 UTC 2020

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 23:47, ken at shail.co.uk <ken at shail.co.uk> wrote:

> I have now managed to get 1.37 to compile and install.
>
> Yesterday
> I had a configure message about missing gtk+-3.0 but could not find that in apt-cache.
> I had therefore set  GTK_FLAGS and GTK_LIBS as suggested on the assumption that it would work-around that error.
> It obviously did not.

Distro package names vary between distros (and sometimes versions),
for example the Ubuntu 20.04 development package (the one you want) is
called libgtk-3-dev but on Fedora its gtk3-devel (IIUC).  But the
`pkg-config` package provided is still called gtk+-3.0 which (IIUC) is
what configure is testing. There is no real way configure can know the
distro package names AFAIK.

> Today
> I installed everything that included "gtk" using synaptic and that enabled a successful compile.

Blunt but effective :)