[Geany-Users] Override comment_single in custom filetypes.xres.conf

D.T. ohnonot-github at xxxxx
Sun Aug 30 13:24:01 UTC 2020

Hello,
I have been struggling with this for a couple of hours, mostly reading
https://geany.org/manual/index.html#custom-filetypes to no avail, now
it's time to ask for your help!

I have a rather simplistic custom filetype for Xresources files:

   [styling]
   default=default
   comment=comment
   section=tag
   key=attribute
   assignment=operator
   defval=value

   [lexer_properties]
   lexer.props.allow.initial.spaces=0

   [settings]
   extension=xres
   mime_type=text/x-xres
   lexer_filetype=Conf
   wordchars=_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234
   56789#
   comment_single=!

It works well enough; the only aspect where it differs from the Conf
filetype is that comments start with a '!', not with a '#'.
This works well enough, but not with #include directives that are also
valid Xresources syntax.
How can I tell geany to see _only_ lines starting with '!' as comments?
Currently it treats lines starting with '!' and '#' both as comments.

Additional bonus: customised syntax highlighting for #include
directives. Example:
#include </path/to/includes/X.xres>

Thanks for a great lightweight IDE!

o.