[Geany-Users] Failed to bind IPC socket

Doug Henderson djndnbvg at xxxxx
Fri Aug 28 01:08:51 UTC 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 14:59, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> On 27.08.20 15:24, Doug Henderson wrote:

> > OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
> > Version    10.0.18363 Build 18363
> >
> > Here are the first few lines from Help->Debug Messages
> >
> > 06:24:15: Geany WARNING    : Failed to bind IPC socket
> > (127.0.0.1:49876): 10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a
> > way forbidden by its access permissions.
> > 06:24:15: Geany INFO        : Geany 1.36, English_Canada.1252
> > 06:24:15: Geany INFO        : GTK 2.24.32, GLib 2.60.6

> > The warning does not seem to affect the normal functioning of Geany,
> > as far as I know.
> >
> > I would however like to discover further information about this
> > warning, and resolve it, if possible.

> This reminds of https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/2101.
> In short, check your firewall settings and/or whether some other
> application might be using TCP port 49876.
>
> The IPC socket is used for communication between two Geany instances,
> e.g. when you have Geany running and use "Open with Geany" menu item in
> Explorer or similar. The communication is done via TCP port 49876 on
> which the first started Geany instance binds to.
> The above message tells that either the port is already in use by
> another process or that a firewall might be blocking the port.

As suggested in the linked Geany issue, and the Stack Overflow
questions it referenced:

I added a firewall rule for the Geany.exe, restarted and tested (as
admin), without success.
I modified the firewall rule to add private networks, restarted and
tested (as admin), without success.

I turned off the Hyper-V feature, restarted, and tested (as admin, and
as user), with success.

Here success means that the "Failed to bind IPC socket" warning is gone.

I have not explored the consequences of turning off the Hyper-V
feature, especially with respect to Docker, Oracle VirtualBox, WSL,
WSL 2, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com