[Geany-Users] Cannot paste text from NEdit into geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Apr 7 04:53:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 13:55, Brent Roman <genosensor at gmail.com> wrote:

> The copy/paste failure described below is associated with the update
> from scintilla v3.10.2 to v3.10.4
>
> Git commit 4bceddb449b8727e1d8b449a5d92af5fa53a2405
>
> All is well if I hang back on the 1.35.0 release of geany.
>
> I'm an embedded systems guy, really not very well versed in this UI
> stuff.  Do you think any of the geany devs might be willing to replicate
> this problem?  I realize the bug is most likely in Scintilla, but I
> don't feel qualified to make that call.

Agreed its almost certainly in Scintilla, you could try and see if it
happens in Scite if you can get a 3.xx version (Geany does not use
Scintilla 4 as you note above).

I don't have nedit or motif it depends on and won't add that to test,
but that suggests nedit is a basic X11 application.  X11 has two
clipboards, (see
https://www.uninformativ.de/blog/postings/2017-04-02/0/POSTING-en.html
for a summary).  Geany, Scintilla and most modern software only has
one, and as much as GTK tries to map the two X11 ones to the single
GTK clipboard it may be that nedit is using one that is not considered
as the "current" selection by GTK.  (I should point out Scintilla uses
GTK clipboards, so any fault may be in it not Scintilla).