[Geany-Users] Configuring Geany for Python Code and Documentation - version 2

Tim Wallace twallace51 at xxxxx
Tue May 7 19:16:47 UTC 2019

My Geany Configuration

  '''http://go-lang.cat-v.org/text-editors/geany/'''

Problem:
  Python code
    with too much distracting documentation ...
  Documentation
    difficult to navigate between sections and references ...
    with blocks of code that are not easily executable ...

Solution:
  An editor that manages both text and code files:
    with code folding based on indentation (Python type)
    right click option, to open file pathnames, both relative and
absolute,  directly in editor
    right click on htttp://web_address,  to open address in a given web
browser
    syntax highlighting for Python files -  *.py
    keyword highlighting for document files - *.txt, *.hlp, *.gny

  Note:
    I selected the *.gny extension to emphasize that a given text file is
best reviewed
      with a custom configured Geany,  as described here...
    I selected the *.hlp extension for the documentation retrieved from
Python source code by:
      >>> help(module_name)

Following describes my custom configuration for Geany ....
  Done with support from Linux Mint, pylint3, dolphin and chromium-browser.
  twallace51 at gmail.com

  To configure Geany manually:

    Install and open Geany....

    Click on MenuBar > Edit > Preferences >
      and edit following:

      Interface > Message Window >
        click [x] Right  # tall is easier to read than wide,  on a large
screen

      Editor > Indentation >
        width 2          # my personal preference rather than default 4
        type  spaces

      Files > Saving Files >
        [x] strip trailing spaces and tabs  # to help comply with pylint3
        [x] replace tab with space

      Tools > Tool Paths >
        set Browser to             chromium-browser      # or Firefox if
prefer

      Tools > Commands >
        set Context Action to      chromium-browser %s
        #Now available:
        # click-drag on a valid web address   -> selects address
        # right clicking on address           -> opens a popup menu
        # clicking Context Action             -> opens address in given web
browser
        Also Note:
        # right clicking on the pathname of a file  -> opens the popup menu
        # clicking on Open Selected                 -> opens the file in
Geany

      Keybindings >    # Note: many of common keybindings are included by
defualt,
        #eg for Run, Find, Find Next, Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste, etc
        Editor
          Delete current line(s)    Alt-D
        Format
          Increase indent           Alt-I     # note that the Tab key is
equivalent
          Decrease indent           Shift-ISO_Left_Tab
          Replace                   Alt-R     # easier to reach with one
hand,  but most editors use default Ctrl-H
        Document
          Fold all                  Alt-C
          Unfold all                Alt-X
        GoTo
          Go to line                Alt-G

    Click on MenuBar > Edit > Plugin Preferences >
      FileBrowser
        dolphin "%d"      # I like the split screen option in dolphin
      TreeBrowser
        dolphin "%d"

    Click on  Menu > Build > Set Build Commands >
      Replace all defaults with following:
        Under Doc commands >
          Pylint       pylint3 --rcfile=~/mylintrc  "%f"   # assumes
default pylintrc modified and saved as ~/mylintrc
        Under Execute commands >
          Python3.7    python3.7 "%f"

    Click on Menu > Tools > Plugin Manager >
      First,  install package "geany-plugins" with Synaptic or sudo apt-get.
      Then of the many available plugins,  enable the most useful:
        SplitWindow
        AutoMark

    Click on File > New (with template) >
      Note:
      To see your custom templates in Geany File menu, put your templates in
        ~/.config/geany/templates/files

      To put your custom templates ~above~ the defaults in the template
list,
      use an initial underline character in your template`s name,  for
example:
        _pure_python.py
        _PyQt5.py

  To enable folding and simple syntax coloring for *.txt, *.hlp and *.gny
files
    Easy Option:
      Click on Menu > Tools > Configuration Files > filetype_extensions.conf
      Look for
        Python=*.py;*.pyw;SConstruct;SConscript;wscript;
      replace with
        Python=*.py;*.pyw;SConstruct;SConscript;wscript;*.txt;*.hlp;*.gny
    Better Option:  # based on
http://go-lang.cat-v.org/text-editors/geany/
      On bash command line:
        Copy Geany global config file to local configuration directory - so
any changes are now local:
          cp -v    /usr/share/geany/filetype_extensions.conf
~/.config/geany
        Copy and rename following:
          cp -v    /usr/share/geany/filedefs/filetypes.python
~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.Txt.conf

        Note: Once these files have been copied,  they can be updated later
under
          Geany > MenuBar > Tools > Configuration Files > ...

      Add following to  ~/.config/geany/filetype_extensions.conf:
        Txt=*.txt;*.hlp;*.gny             # between Tcl=... and Txt2tags=...

      Edit following in  ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.Txt.conf:
        Comment out keywords list,  so will not be highlighted
          [keywords]
          #primary=....
          #identifiers=....
          .
        or replace with your own keywords,  eg my favorites:
          primary = Note Warning Syntax Example Examples Description Goal
References Usage Instalation Configuration Details Classes

        Enable python style folding and highligting
          [settings]
          extension=txt,hlp,gny
          lexer_filetype=Python

        Remove any build commands found here: