[Geany-Users] ? Capturing context_action's output

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 14 00:42:39 UTC 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 09:47, <e2qb2a44f at prolan-power.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lex Trotman:
> > Context actions do not collect the results of the subprocess
>
> But if I have an xterm-like program (xfce4-terminal, under Xubuntu) then it can launch bash, bash can run the
> context action, and leave the window open, and show me the result.
>
> I found that if I set the context action to
>
> xfce4-terminal --tab --working-directory=/home/xxx/yyy/zzz -x bash -vc 'echo "%p" && grep -PIr "^using +%s +=";
> echo "--$?--" && read -sN1'
>
> then the context action works and -- in my xfce4-terminal, in the last (new) tab -- I can inspect the results.
> (The action is, given a word zzz, to grep for "using zzz ="-like texts in directory (and below) /home/xxx/yyy/zzz.)

Yes, the command can do anything.

> But:
>
> - The context action does not know about "%p". I wish it would. Currently the action works only for this project
> (project's base dir is hardcoded).

Its possible, pull requests are welcome.

> - I have to leave Geany and switch to the xfce4-terminal window. (It does not even brings to front currently.)
> No integration. (In the Messages pane I could click on a line and Geany would open the file and seek to the line
> and highlight the word..)
>

> > build commands show their output in the compiler window
>
> But:
>
> - [The build commands] do not know about (recenty, and if I am correct) the %s wildcard. (Perhaps with a minimal
> effort, it could recognize it.)

Selection is not really relevant to the main use-case of build
commands, nonetheless a pull request may be accepted.

To reiterate my response above:

- context actions are intended to run commands that are not monitored by Geany

- build commands are intended to run commands that are monitored and
parsed for compile errors and shown in the compile tab or to execute
the built program and show its output in the built-in terminal or a
separate terminal.

- custom commands are intended to be fed the selection via stdin and
the output monitored and used to replace the selection

Your use-case is a command that is run and its output monitored and
shown in the messages window, which is none of the above.

So as I said Geany does not currently support it.  You could create an
enhancement request, but I think it already exists.