[Geany-Users] Unable to install geany-plugin-markdown

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Sep 3 22:16:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 20:55, Abel <akronix5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 at 21:23, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 03:43, Abel <akronix5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > I'm in Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) and I use the ppa repo (http://ppa.launchpad.net/geany-dev/ppa/ubuntu) for my apt.
>> >
>> > Recently I was missing the plugin for markdown preview, so I tried to install it using:
>> > apt install geany-plugin-markdown
>> > and I get this error:
>> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> > or been moved out of Incoming.
>> > The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>> >
>> > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> >  geany-plugin-markdown : Depends: geany-abi-71
>> >                          Depends: geany-plugins-common (= 1.32+dfsg-1~16.04) but 1.33+dfsg-1~16.04 is to be installed
>> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
>> Versions of plugins are specific to versions of Geany, you need to
>> install the version of the plugin that matches the version of Geany
>> you have.
>

> But how do I do that? because in that ppa repo Geany is version 1.33 but some plugins, like the markdown one, are in 1.32 :S

Yes, Geany 1.32 is built against GTK 2, but the 1.33 Geany is built
against GTK 3 but Markdown plugin won't work for GTK 3 yet so its not
available for Geany 1.33.

>> > How can I fix this? :S

If you can build plugins you can try building the version of markdown
from git, its capable of GTK3 now AFAICT.  Or wait for 1.34 which, due
to resourcing issues, is running a bit late.