[Geany-Users] Make script executable from within Geany

Little Girl littlergirl at xxxxx
Sun Sep 2 15:39:25 UTC 2018

Hey there,

Andrew Kennedy via Users wrote:

> I edit and test a lot of scripts using Geany.
>Is there a way to make an open script executable using Geany instead
>of having to do it using my file manager?

Please forgive me if I misread your question or if any of this is
more information than you needed. I use this all the time and
wouldn't want to be without it:

1) Make sure your script contains a hashbang (shebang) line as its
first line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)

2) Right-click on the far right side of your toolbar and choose "Toolbar Preferences" from the context menu.

3) Click the "Customize Toolbar" button.

4) Choose "Execute" in the left pane.

5) Click the right arrow.

6) Drag the icon to where you'd like the icon to be in the toolbar in
relation to the other icons in your toolbar.

7) Click the "Close" button.

8) Click the "Apply" button.

9) Click the "OK" button.

Now, any time you have a script loaded up in Geany, you can click the
gear in the toolbar to save and execute the script if you've changed
it or just execute it if you haven't.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.