[Geany-Users] change size, color of "show spaces"

bendov at gmx.com bendov at xxxxx
Thu Nov 8 03:32:57 UTC 2018

Thank you.
I understood what the 3rd, 4th argument for white_space did.
I was asking about using bold, italics - using the "key=" syntax /
method - in general and on white_space (the white_space part was answered).
I don't understand when (which files) or exactly how to get (for
instance) "key=selection,bold" to work.

The manual indicates bold & italic can be used for any named_style
defined in filetypes.common.  Yes?
And the bold, italic could be used in any filetypes.* (except for conf
files - think I read somewhere).

But I can't get it to work.
For instance, in filetypes.css, the comment is,
"[styling]
# Edit these in the colorscheme .conf file instead"

But entering into a color scheme.conf file, anything like:
selection=selection,italic or *any other* named_style from
filetypes.common that I tried, then saving & reloading, nothing changes
in any files I then view.

If I wanted selection (or pick another named style) to be italic or
bold, in .css files, exactly how do you do that?

I'm assuming that for a named_style, colors can be specified, and on a
separate line, specify it be italic or bold, if the style involves text?
Again, pick any named style.

* TRANSLUCENCY:
> "Translucency is really only useful and visible if you set background colour."
The manual says,
#translucency - Translucency for the CURRENT_LINE (1st argument) and the
SELECTION (selected text - 2nd argument). Values between 0 and 255 are
accepted.  Note for Windows 95, 98 and ME users: keep this value at 256
to disable translucency otherwise Geany might crash. Only the first and
second arguments are interpreted.  Example: translucency=256;256;false;false

Do you mean "set (default) background color for the color scheme, like:
> [named_styles]
>
> default=#fff;#000;true;true
Or set background colors for selection (selected text) and
current_line?  Current_line only sets background.

So background color of both selection and current_line are set, as is
the default background.  Translucency still has no effect for me.  It
does say, "for the current line" (meaning color) and "the Selection".

Maybe I need to know which color (background of what?) that translucency
affects?
The explanation wording seemed fairly clear, but you seem to indicate
something else (I'm unclear from your reply "only useful & visible if
you set background color."
Could someone give an example of which colors would appear translucent,
given what settings for the 2 listed styles & default colors?

Thanks.