[Geany-Users] Please help a newbie!

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Mar 6 23:16:03 UTC 2018

On 7 March 2018 at 08:48, Alan Brown <alan at marybantick.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am attempting to use Geany IDE to help develop my perl projects (I have
> several that I am working on currently)
>
> I *used* to use Intellij IDEA (With perl plugins) to develop, check, debug
> and run my perl code but I then had to rebuild my Windows 10 machine due to
> several factors all coming together at the same time, and in the process I
> lost the functionality of IDEA to do my development.
>
> I therefore did an internet search for PERL IDEs and Geany was one of them
> but I am struggling to set up some of the basics here.
>
> Each of my current projects has a "bunch" of perl modules that I have
> written so in directory "X" I may have files X1.pm, X2,pl, X3.pm, etc
>
> My question is: how can I add these relevant files to a Geany project so
> that they are all built into an executable unit that executes? - it doesn't
> have to be portable as all the relevant data files that I need are on my
> laptop and the output is the important thing with each project and each
> project *does* work (or at least used to under IDEA) but I seem to have
> missed or not read the basic functionality of Geany as to how to associte
> each file with a project and to develop the prgram to run to completion
>
> Any help would be most appreciated

Sounds like you havn't set up Perls search paths right, see a ways
down the page about @INC
https://perlmaven.com/how-to-create-a-perl-module-for-code-reuse

Just a note, Geany has no built-in knowledge of Perl's directory
structures etc, (actually for any language, not just Perl) you set up
the build commands as if they are run from the command line.