[Geany-Users] debugger not debugging

j.dunn at piments.com j.dunn at xxxxx
Sun Jan 7 08:00:31 UTC 2018

On 06/01/18 23:38, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 2018-01-06 10:42 AM, j.dunn at piments.com wrote:
>> On 06/01/18 12:34, j.dunn at piments.com wrote:
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I am having trouble getting geany-scope to step and debug a simple
>>> test file.
>>>
>>> Full description here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/1461#issuecomment-355559491
>>>
>>> I have applied the patch to fix scope locking up. But when I run the
>>> executable for debugging I don't get the usual debug functions ( step
>>> etc ) enabled, only terminate.
>>>
>>> I get the impression that it is not connecting to gdb but don't see
>>> any output showning an error or enabling determination of the problem.
>>>
>>> I have no prior experience with this debugger since it used to
>>> lock-up. Could be finger trouble or something not correctly set up.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions of where to look.
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>
>> BTW I built plugins with the following, is that sufficient, or do I
>> need to include other options ?
>>

>> ./configure --with-geany-libdir=/usr/local/lib --disable-all-plugins
>> --enable-debugger --enable-scope
>>

> After running configure like that, it should say 'yes' or 'no' next to
> Scope in the summary message, letting you know whether it will be built
> or not. Debugger and Scope are mutually exclusive, both different
> front-ends to GDB. Make sure you don't have both of them activated at
> the same time inside Geany by looking in the Plugin Manager dialog. The
> one called "Debugger" should be unchecked and the one called "Scope"
> should be checked.
>
> Can you describe step-by-step from a clean slate exactly the steps
> you're performing, including descriptions of which specific buttons
> you're pressing and whatnot (or make a screencast video/gif and link to
> it)? The steps mentioned by Lars[0] sound accurate. Are you sure you're
> not using Geany's builtin run/execute feature instead of the one that is
> provided by the Scope plugin? Can you also confirm that using GDB on
> that program just on the normal command-line works?
>
> P.S. Unrelated, but you might want to move the #include in your test
> program out to the top-level instead of inside the function. It's likely
> to confuse any tools which are dealing with symbols, having so much
> stuff included into function scope and will surely blow up during
> compilation if you ever do that with a header that contains inline
> functions or such.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew Brush
>
> [0]: https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/1461#issuecomment-355572846

Hi Matthew,

thanks for the well targeted questions.

Yes, what Lars describes is what I am also doing, except that he renamed
my main.c to hello.c

During ./configure I do get a limited number or 'yes' lines including
both Scope and Debugger. I checked that after running configure and it
was consistent with args provided.

I confirm that in the plugin manager, I only have scope checked.
Debugger is not checked.

As I noted, when I use the gear icon ( ie the geany run )  to run the
prog from geany, I get a VTE terminal window which shows the output msg.
If I use Debug | Run/Continue I get no output anywhere I can see and the
only debugging action this is not greyed out is Terminate.

Running from gdb directly showed a message saying I needed to install
glibc-debuginfo . This was not shown anywhere in scope, again suggesting
that it is not connecting to gdb at all. Having installed this I can
step and break the executable and get expected output using  gdb from
command line.

Returning to restart geany and scope ; re-select the executable and run
it from the debug menu , I get the same results, all degugging icons are
grayed-out. The status bar shows "Busy" bottom , right. All I can do is
'terminate'.

In scope.conf , I see the following but I do not get any VTE when
running under scope. Only when running directly in geany.
debug_console_vte=true

Nothing showing is system logs, nothing new on terminal from which geany
is run.

Any idea where to look ?

thanks