[Geany-Users] debugger not debugging

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Jan 6 23:38:02 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-06 10:42 AM, j.dunn at piments.com wrote:
> On 06/01/18 12:34, j.dunn at piments.com wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> I am having trouble getting geany-scope to step and debug a simple
>> test file.
>>
>> Full description here:
>>
>> https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/1461#issuecomment-355559491
>>
>> I have applied the patch to fix scope locking up. But when I run the
>> executable for debugging I don't get the usual debug functions ( step
>> etc ) enabled, only terminate.
>>
>> I get the impression that it is not connecting to gdb but don't see
>> any output showning an error or enabling determination of the problem.
>>
>> I have no prior experience with this debugger since it used to
>> lock-up. Could be finger trouble or something not correctly set up.
>>
>> Any suggestions of where to look.
>>
>> thanks.
>
> BTW I built plugins with the following, is that sufficient, or do I need
> to include other options ?
>

> ./configure --with-geany-libdir=/usr/local/lib --disable-all-plugins
> --enable-debugger --enable-scope

After running configure like that, it should say 'yes' or 'no' next to
Scope in the summary message, letting you know whether it will be built
or not. Debugger and Scope are mutually exclusive, both different
front-ends to GDB. Make sure you don't have both of them activated at
the same time inside Geany by looking in the Plugin Manager dialog. The
one called "Debugger" should be unchecked and the one called "Scope"
should be checked.

Can you describe step-by-step from a clean slate exactly the steps
you're performing, including descriptions of which specific buttons
you're pressing and whatnot (or make a screencast video/gif and link to
it)? The steps mentioned by Lars[0] sound accurate. Are you sure you're
not using Geany's builtin run/execute feature instead of the one that is
provided by the Scope plugin? Can you also confirm that using GDB on
that program just on the normal command-line works?

P.S. Unrelated, but you might want to move the #include in your test
program out to the top-level instead of inside the function. It's likely
to confuse any tools which are dealing with symbols, having so much
stuff included into function scope and will surely blow up during
compilation if you ever do that with a header that contains inline
functions or such.

Regards,
Matthew Brush

[0]: https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/1461#issuecomment-355572846