[Geany-Users] geany-1.34_setup.exe security analysis

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Dec 17 14:20:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

I don't think your conclusion is correct:

in my opinion it is not yet proven that the installer actually connects
to the internet yet it is possible (I could not reproduce it on my
system but this does not necessarily mean it does not happen).
And if it connects to the internet, then it is not safe because it
should not do it.

But yes, Geany does not connect to the internet except for the
UpdateChecker plugin which does this by design by connecting to
geany.org to check for the latest version. It does this only if it is
explicitly activated.

Tools:
the network traffic I monitored with "tcpdump" on the router and for
searching the IP I used "grep" from the MSYS2 distribution. "grep" is
also available as a normal Windows binary for download and you probably
can also use the native Windows search.