[Geany-Users] problems with certain colors in Black Scheme (black.conf)

bendov at gmx.com bendov at xxxxx
Wed Apr 4 02:40:55 UTC 2018

Using geany 1.27 in Mint 18.1

I tried out the black.conf theme to reduce screen brightness
(https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/tree/master/colorschemes). I
see the updated "*delt-dark.conf*" theme also has several of the same
issues I've described below. Which is, in Geany - maybe all editors,
using dark background schemes, certain highlighting, searching, "go to
line" colors don't allow good contrast between code text colors & the
highlight or "found" colors.
Generally, the search or highlight colors work OK except a few. Where in
a light theme, the problems don't exist.

I'm not sure if these instructions are still 100% correct for >= v1.27,
or if I'm missing something.

At least 2 problems are the color of the marked line, when use Search >
In Document, then click a found instance in the message pane (the lower
panel).
In a light theme, I tried several colors that all worked well for this &
didn't totally obscure certain colored text.
In the black theme, I haven't found any color for this, that doesn't
obscure / mostly obscure text that's close to the (background;
hilight??) color, where in light themes, it's not a problem.
I believe black theme's author originally used
marker_line=#ff208c;#80d4b2;false;false  --> where #80d4b2 is a dark,
minty green.
1) 1st, why does the color - highlighting the entire line show at all,
when *both* arguments are false?

2) "marker_line" instructions say, the foreground color (1st argument)
are only used for "show marker margins" - in View menu. Ok. Alluding the
2nd argument is the highlighted line color.
The SECOND color is the one I can't find any color (in a black
background theme), nor any "marker_translucency" setting that WON'T
obscure one or more syntax colors.
If I choose the lightest yellow #fffffe, white syntax is "visible" but
not readable.
When I click a found instance in the message pane, that's when the
highlighted line(s) are partly obscured.

But using Search > Mark, the background color is translucent enough to
read either light or dark text colors.
It seems VERY hard w/ black themes, to find a color for Search > "mark",
that shows well for *both* light & dark text (in a black BG theme).

Translucency doesn't seem to work for marker_line - using menu - View >
go to line, or click a found line # in the message pane. That's when any
color used will obscure some text & make others hard to read.  Isn't the
idea for dark backgrounds better visibility (& less glare)?

3) "current_line=" highlighting doesn't seem to work well on black
backgrounds.  Choosing the lightest shade of any color only allows the
most highly contrasting text to show.  In dark themes, it seems almost
impossible to choose a color that contrasts w/ light & dark text,
allowing both to show through.
But in *light* background themes (& other text editors) highlighting the
current line works well on light AND dark text. Because the highlight
color (say, bright yellow) in light colored themes is translucent enough
to let very pale text colors show through.  Why won't it work in Geany
on black background themes?

In Geany, using black themes, current_line highlight (pale or bold
colors) doesn't seem to be a highlight; rather a very solid, almost
foreground color that only highest contrasting text is readable.

Thanks.