[Geany-Users] Possible unintentional behavior when stripping trailing spaces and tabs

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Sep 4 01:01:03 UTC 2017

It is annoying to have the cursor on a blank line slam left when the
file is saved while its still open.

> If I remember correctly VisualStudio has a nice (if complicated to
> implement) solution, it never saved the superfluous whitespaces, but
> graphically, in the editor it appeared to leave them alone so it didn't
> cause you to re-indent while editing after a save.

Maybe that could be easily implemented by simply not changing the
buffer on save, sure it leaves the spaces on the ends of the lines in
the buffer too, but they get stripped again on the next save so it
doesn't matter.  If you really want to strip them in the buffer you
should use the menu item rather than (ab)using save.

It doesn't keep the indents after close, but that seems a reasonable
compromise for a simple change.