[Geany-Users] comma, tab, space separate files

bendov at gmx.com bendov at xxxxx
Sun Nov 19 17:06:11 UTC 2017

I'm a fairly new Geany user and I don't use these file types often. When
needed for long lists, they're handy.

I found nothing in Geany's Help about delimiter-separated formats - CSV,
Tab-separated, etc.
  Either importing files already in those formats or exporting "lists"
from Geany in some type of delimiter-separated format, or just
converting plain text lists to a delimiter-separated formats.

One simple example, if I copy data from a web page - or many sources,
where it's already in list form (may be plain text or HTML or...) - say,
with peoples last & first name, plus something like page numbers beside
each name where the names are indexed in a book.

Sanders, Jill               105, 115, 140
Smith, John Adams   122, 135

This may be formatted in several ways on a web site.
I've found copying "identical looking" lists, from the same web site but
on different pages & pasting to Geany may like the above example.

Example 2:  Or on the web page, it already looks similar to;
Sanders, Jill
     105, 115, 140
Smith, John Adams
     122, 135

Even though the lists MAY be displayed identically on a web site's
different pages, the exact formatting in the web document, determines
how it looks when pasted into Geany.
Or if some data looks like example 2, there's not much can be done to
automatically convert it to look like Example 1?

I'm not sure if Geany has the ability - itself or with plugins, to
convert & save  examples like these to delimiter-separated formats.

So whether to save / export from Geany  or get it into the proper format
so when pasted in a spreadsheet (like LibreOffice), where Example 2
looks more like example 1, without a WHOLE  lot of manually entering
commas, spaces, tabs.

Thanks.