[Geany-Users] disable auto filetype

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Nov 12 01:38:13 UTC 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 03:58, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 11/11/2017 à 06:17, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> On 11 November 2017 at 23:46, John Harris
>> <jhharris at unencumbereddesign.com> wrote:
>>> How do I disable automatic filetype setting.
>>> I want type "none" for all files.
>>
>> I don't think you can, filetypes and filetype detection is coded into
>> Geany.  I don't know what you are editing, but are you sure you want
>> an IDE? Maybe you would be better served with a plain text editor.
>
> I guess you can edit filetype_extensions.conf and remove everything but
> None (or maybe make "None=*").  Not sure how it would play with shebang
> detection and stuff.

Actually it can be turned off in the `Set filetype` field of the `More
Options` extender of the open dialog, and it seems to stay off for the
session, ie until Geany is restarted.  Its used so rarely nobody
remembers its there.

And of course files open that remain open at the end of the session
have their filetypes remembered between sessions.