[Geany-Users] CString Class

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue May 23 23:33:50 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-23 01:29 PM, Charles Miller wrote:
> As a long time Visual Studio C++ developer, I made heavy use of the
> CString class.  I am now learning to use Geany on Windows as a
> development platform with the intent of then moving the source code to a
> Raspberry Pi 3 and re-compiling it there under the RPi version of Geany.
>
> So, is there a CString class available for Geany?

Hi,

It's not really related to Geany since it doesn't provide any libraries
or such. I assume you can still use MFC with Geany as it's agnostic to
build system related issues, you just have to put the correct build
commands (it doesn't have fancy project templates and stuff like VS
does). If you go the Windows-specific route, you probably want to write
an NMake file to drive cl.exe and link.exe to use from Geany's build
commands.

If your Raspberry Pi runs Linux, and just in general anyway, you might
be better off use the regular C++ standard library classes like
std::string, std::u16string, etc. as they are portable across most
systems (esp. linux, windows, macos, bsd, etc).

If you're looking for a more user-friendly string class that uses UTF-16
encoding (as I assume MFC does), you could try QString from the Qt
library, which is also portable across popular platforms, though Qt is a
bit heavy if all you need is its string class.

Regards,
Matthew Brush