[Geany-Users] GTK Theming

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue May 9 23:57:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-09 3:55 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to change the main menu font size on Geany.  Long story but I
> have two monitors with different DPIs and need the menus and notebook
> tabs to be smaller on the larger monitor, because they're huge.
>
> Using these instructions:
> http://www.geany.org/manual/current/#defining-own-widget-styles-using-gtkrc-2-0
>

> I put this in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and in the same file in my current theme,
> but it didn't work:
>

> style "geanyStyle"
> {
>     font_name="Sans 10"
> }
>
> widget "GeanyToolbarMenu" style "geanyStyle"
>
> style "geanyStyle2"
> {
>     font_name="Sans 10"
> }
> widget "GeanyMenubar" style "geanyStyle2"
>

> Not sure why it doesn't work.  :/

A few ideas:

1) Make sure you aren't using a GTK3 build of Geany.
2) Maybe the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 isn't reloaded until you log back in?
3) Try an application-specific gtkrc file (by setting GTK_RC_FILES
envvar before running Geany)
4) Try using  'class' instead of 'widget' and use GTK class names like
GtkToolbar and GtkMenuItem.
5) Make sure you aren't using a bad desktop environment that hijacks the
menu from Geany using patched GTK/modules to move it into the panel (ex.
Unity/GNOME shill).
6) Above, do you want 'GeanyToolbar' instead of 'GeanyToolbarMenu'?

That's all I can think of.

P.S. I think you can use one style for multiple widget/class.

Good luck,
Matthew Brush