[Geany-Users] Missing Eclipse Features?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat May 6 22:51:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-06 09:32 AM, Chris Spencer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a replacement for Eclipse, and I recently discovered Geany.
> I've installed it and all of it's plugins from the Ubuntu 16 packages, and
> now I'm trying to understand it's interface. It seems to have most of the
> features of Eclipse, but a few major things are missing, so I'd hope
> someone can confirm these are missing or clarify where they are.
> Specifically:
>
> 1. Git integration
>
> Eclipse's eGit plugin allows you to:
> a. commit all changes in a project
> b. view a graphical diff and resolve merges of all changes in a project
> c. see all file changes and conflicts in a project's tree browser via
> folder/filename icons
>
> Does Geany have a plugin that does this? There appears to a git-changebar
> plugin, but even though I created a project for my local git repo and
> enabled the plugin, there doesn't appear to be any git actions shown
> anywhere, nor is it reflecting any changes that are made. Unfortunately,
> the git-changebar doc site (https://plugins.geany.org/git-changebar.html)
> has virtually no documentation on how to use the plugin.
>
> 2. Multiple project browsing
>
> I can create an arbitrary number of projects in Eclipse and edit files from
> multiple projects simultaneously. How do you do this in Geany? I can create
> and open a project, but I seem to be only able to view one project's files
> at a time, which is a huge limitation.
>
> 3. Project wide file search
>
> Eclipse has a feature to search all files in all projects. I see I can
> right-click in Geany and select "Find in Files", but this doesn't appear to
> work. For example searching for the string literal "ss FooBar(" returns no
> files with matching content and a dozen error messages like:
>
>     grep -nHIiF -- "ss FooBar(" (in directory:
> /home/chris/git/myproject/src)
>     /bin/grep: dir1: Is a directory
>     /bin/grep: dir2: Is a directory
>     /bin/grep: dir3: Is a directory
>
> Am I missing something? Where are search results shown?
>
> Other than that, Geany performs very well, and if I can figure out how to
> plug these feature gaps, I'd really like to start using it. Memory-wise
> alone, it's a huge improvement over Eclipse, which consumes 20% of my 8GB
> of memory, compared to 0.5% with Geany.

Geany isn't really a replacement for all of the features of Eclipse,
it's more like Vim or Emacs but easier to use and more expected stuff
working out of the box.

One important difference is Geany projects are not like Eclipse/VS
workspace/solutions, they're more like a simple session/collection of
editor settings.

Regards,
Matthew Brush