[Geany-Users] Geany for novel writers

Little Girl littlergirl at xxxxx
Sat Jun 3 11:31:56 UTC 2017

Hey there,

Peter Popov wrote:
> Peter Popov:
> > http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/static/writeroom/mac_os_screen.jpg
>
> but is it possible to make it work like that?
>
> even better: to vertically center on screen the edited line

There are two ways you could hack it:

1) You could use the Extra Selection plug-in:

https://plugins.geany.org/geanyextrasel.html

It allows you to select columns of text. What you would do is open
another file and press the Tab key once followed by any character.
Then select that line, copy it, and paste it several times into the
document so that the document is as long as the one you'd like to
center. Then go into the Tools menu and enable Column Mode in the
Extra Selection sub-menu. Use the Shift and arrow keys at the same
time to select the column of tabs. Copy them. Then go to the
document you'd like to center the text in and paste them in at the
left edge (note that Column Mode doesn't need to be enabled in the
target document). Repeat pasting the column in as many times as
needed to move the contents to where you'd like them.

2) Another way of doing it would be to write a script that uses a
regular expression to insert one or more tabs at the beginning of
every line in the document and then run the script on any document
you'd like to read in that way.

Neither of these are ideal because they require manual user
intervention each time, but both would make the text look like your
example. If you prefer the first method, you could create a template
document that has a very long column of tabs in it so you could open
that, enable Column Mode, select the column, and be in business
pretty quickly.

I've had to do something similar on my Android tablet, because its
keyboard doesn't have a tab key(!), so I have to use hacks to get tabs
into my documents. I can't even imagine a development meeting in which
someone suggests leaving the tab key off as a desirable thing to do
and at least one someone else agrees that that's actually a good
idea, but it must have happened.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.