[Geany-Users] High CPU frequency and CPU usage on Windows

Zoran Valentak zorvalent at xxxxx
Sun Jul 30 12:33:00 UTC 2017

Hi there everyone. I don't usually use mailing lists, so forgive me if I
do something wrong. I noticed on Geany installations on my desktop and
my laptop that Geny uses significant CPU resources both in terms of CPU
usage, which is around 20-30%, and in terms of CPU clock speed, which is
closer to max CPU frequency state than it is to the CPUs low clock states.

I noticed this on my laptop because I started noticing fan working a lot
more than it should. Then I installed HWMonitor and set CPU monitoring
only to find out that CPU frequency is set to max 2.4Ghz, when having a
Geany windows in focus and especially when typing text, instead of the
lowest CPU clock state of 1.2Ghz. This means that CPU temps go up and
fan has to turn on.

On my desktop it's the same story. CPU is at 3.3Ghz, max frequency, more
often than not, while for example editing text in Notepad++ the
frequency hovers around 0.8Ghz or in other words, CPUs low frequency state.

Desktop specs are: Pentium G4400, 8GB RAM, AMD RX 470
Laptop specs are: Core i3-3110, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 710m

I use geany with Spellchecker and Save actions plugins active, although
I tried disabling all plugins, but it didn't help. Also I use geany
1.31, latest available.

I also tested Geany on another computer running Linux Mint and it
doesn't seem to be so CPU hungry.

Is there something I can do to make my Windows experience of Geany less
taxing on the CPU?

---
Ova e-pošta je provjerena na viruse Avast protuvirusnim programom.