[Geany-Users] Status bar, process busy indicator, build menu block

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jul 29 05:09:36 UTC 2017

[...]

> And the problem at hand IIUC is that you cannot run a build command that
> returns immediately yet has some things in background.  And indeed, I'm
> afraid it's not possible in the current situation, because Geany waits
> on the child (on purpose, as it's supposed to be a build tool and wants
> to read the output and more or less control the child); and that
> whatever you do the shell it launches will wait on any child before
> quitting (yes, even if you use "&", because of job control).
> Unless I'm missing something somewhere, I see 2 solutions:

The shell should return immediately when the & is used, thats what its
for, but one thing I discovered is that Geany doesn't look for the
process to have finished until the pipe is closed, to make sure we
read all the output.

So unless the daemon closes its stdout (which is rare) then Geany will
still wait for it, since it has inherited the shells stdout which is
the pipe to Geany.