[Geany-Users] Status bar, process busy indicator, build menu block

David Barnes dnsenrab at xxxxx
Fri Jul 28 00:11:38 UTC 2017

@Brush:
"Have you tried running the script from a regular terminal (or even Geany's
builtin terminal in the message window)?"

Perhaps I made this overly complicated.
My scripts work perfectly. I have fifteen of them for different current
working library sets.
My scripts are not a problem. Those consoles/terminals work no problem. No
blocking. Only when starting a console from geany.
I do not use F5 key.

When starting a new instance of geany, this is the command line:

    geany -i --config=/rdkl/.config/geany

I work from multiple systems; this helps keep them all the same.
Not perfect, but better.

Version is 1.27

@Trotman(7/26):
"Because the output of build commands is parsed and displayed in the
compiler output tab only one build command can be running at a time or
their output will get mixed up and confused."

per geany instance only, right?

"So the build menu is blocked whilst a command is running.  So as I
said before, the command needs to start your terminal as a detached
process and exit immediately to get the menu back.  Did you try using
&? On *x commands are run in sh so it should work."

re: &  Yes, did that - no defference.

Normally:
I have unchecked 'Load virtual terminal support'

I have unchecked 'msgwin_compiler_visible'
I have unchecked 'msgwin_scribble_visible'

--------------------
************
--------------------
Starting fresh this am:

Single instance of geany:
I re-enabled  'msgwin_compiler_visible'
Dropped geany
restarted - verified 'msgwin_compiler_visible' enabled

Looked at the debug messages screen - no sign of a problem.

Project build section looks like:

[build-menu]
NF_03_LB=console
NF_03_CM=lxterminal --geometry=130x30& --working-directory=%d
NF_03_WD=

My geany .config build section looks like:

[build-menu]
number_ft_menu_items=0
number_non_ft_menu_items=0
NF_02_LB=file manager
NF_02_CM=pcmanfm&
NF_02_WD=
NF_03_LB=console
NF_03_CM=lxterminal --geometry=130x30& --working-directory=%d&
NF_03_WD=
number_exec_menu_items=0

Loaded one project.

click 'console' button in build drop down

compiler message window:

lxterminal --geometry=130x30& --working-directory=/rdkl/FB_common/defines
(in directory: /rdkl/FB_common/defines)
/bin/sh: 1: --working-directory=/rdkl/FB_common/defines: not found
/usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-dark-panel/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:682: Unable to find
include file: "apps/xfce4-notifyd.rc"

However, the terminal did start in the correct directory.

Leave this up, change desktop, open a second geany instance, load a
profile, start a console

compiler message window:
lxterminal --geometry=130x30&
--working-directory=/rdkl/FB_generic/rlib_small& (in directory:
/rdkl/FB_generic/rlib_small)
/bin/sh: 1: --working-directory=/rdkl/FB_generic/rlib_small: not found
Compilation finished successfully.

console opened correctly
no status indicator, no build menu block

First instance of geany still up, console running, build menu blocked
drop console in that first instance, the status indicator stays, build menu
still blocked.
Drop geany - reopen. (second geany instance still open)
drop console on second geany instance

now:
Whichever geany I open a console on, it will block - the other will open
correctly
I can drop and alternate which geany has the block.
Any subsequent geany instance will NOT have the build menu block as long as
one is blocked.

David

--
If you don't try - you lose - automatically.