[Geany-Users] status bar and commands lock

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jul 26 23:55:59 UTC 2017

On 27 July 2017 at 01:45, David Barnes <dnsenrab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, more than one session of geany.
> NOT completely independent.

Please use the correct terms as used by Geany. Session is not one of
its terms, if you have multiple Geany processes they are separate
"instances".  Or do you mean something else?  Because you use your own
terminology I am not sure exactly what you mean.

How are they started, with "geany -i" or "geany -c configdir" where
each one has a different configdir?

> ---------------------
>
> A circumstamce:
>
> Several geany sessions opened - mulitple files open in each with no files
> opened in more than one session.
>
> No activity in ANY geany instance.
>
> Open a console in one session, for example on desktop 2.
>
> Another session - maybe desktop 6 - shows the activity status with that
> sessions's build menu blocked.
> Close the console, indicator and build menu released.
>
> When I tested this yesterday, I had no other user programs of any kind up
> after a clean boot.
>
> --------------------
>
> Yes, did try the '&' terminator on the command - no difference.

Hmmm, yes, the sh process terminates, but likely the detached process
keeps the stdout/stderr pipes open, so Geany keeps looking for output
to display in the compiler window, and as I said, to prevent
interleaving that blocks another build command from being run.

> My new solution: one session I typically open is a reference only session: I
> rarely need to edit there. I pop open consoles there until I get the lock,
> then I can use the other sessions. NOT elegant.
>
> I understand about mixed messages and confused sources/destinations in an
> OS. But this means that geany is listening for any message to any geany -
> even when no build menu item - or any action - was requested. Is THAT
> happening? I thought the messaging systems all had client identifiers to
> keep things seperated.
>
> A thought: I imagine geany does broadcast messages that files have been
> changed, and every instance does need to listen for that. Perhaps there is a
> misidentification of the activity there.

No instances do not communicate with each other.

> version: "Rezer"
> (built on or after 2016-04-17)

Please give the version number.