[Geany-Users] plugins, markdown, autogen.sh, and intltoolize

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Dec 30 00:10:32 UTC 2017

On 30 December 2017 at 09:52, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

>>> Hope this will give you a few doors down, and a chance to take on the
>>> final boss :)
>>
>> One day we really should slay the autotools dragon using the meson gun ;-D
>
> Is meson good, unlike the gazillion other Autotools alternatives that
> are worse than the original (nobody said scons) or not as good or at
> least lacking features we currently use (basically well, everything else
> I tried or heard of)?

Well, as parts of GTK and Gnome are moving to it, that means it
performs the tasks they need,
(https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/master/gtk/meson.build) and that
should cover our requirements I would have thought, but I havn't
checked.

But I am only using it for relatively simple things where it "just works" :)

> Anyway, it's not a very serious question, as I could just check, and
> possibly try and see to answer, but it's fair :)

Yeah, and like most rapidly growing projects that are not commercially
supported, the docs lag (though at least its no longer a wiki).

> BTW, I doubt meson is magic enough to install istelf if you didn't when
> you tried to run it… and if it is I won't like it :]

That would be a distro function would it not?

And you need a supported builder, not make. :)

>From --help on the version I have "--backend
{ninja,vs,vs2010,vs2015,vs2017,xcode}"

PS Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread