[Geany-Users] Mac Version in German

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Thu Dec 28 13:55:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> On 23.12.2017 22:49, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> >> We had a long discussion here some time ago. Actually it appears that
> >> there are lot of Apple users preferring the LANG=C Geany -- but might be
> >> the wrong outcoming ;)
> >>
> >> But really, it should be more obvious or easier to switch.
> >
> > +
> > This is strange. All other platforms are localized by default.
> > Defaulting to english when an application is perfectly localized seems
> > like a very strange thing to do. I can imagine this is quite confusing
> > for newcomers, making Geany look like it's lacking translations (i.e.
> > poor quality).
> >
> > Also, I didn't think MAC users are that special. I would think they
> > would also prefer the programs they use to be in their language?
>
> Well good point. I have no clue. At least Mac users I've talked with are
> using Geany in LANG=C and are happy with it. Personally I don't care but
> I was confused some time ago, too. This is the reason why we have added
> the flag at all.
> Having in mind that there is no solution fitting everyone's taste, I
> suggest to change the behaviour of the flag in a way, to default to
> default locale of the system and to allow to set some alternative lang
> with the flag. But ... there is something in my mind that this wasn't so
> easy. @jiri?
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Yeah, let's make using locale default (I'll prepare a patch). I have
already successfully forgotten why exactly I did it this way. Even though I
for instance prefer English everywhere, this change won't impact me because
I have it set up globally in settings and Geany will respect that. So I'll
just make it the other way round - using locale will be default and if
someone wants to ignore locale, he'll have to create
~/.config/geany/ignore_locale.

Cheers,

Jiri