[Geany-Users] question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at xxxxx
Sun Apr 23 23:07:28 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-04-23 11:31 AM, o1bigtenor wrote:

>>> To be clear, its only the Geany archive on Gmane thats being
>>> resuscitated, not Geany itself, don't want people to get the wrong
>>> idea :)
>>>
>>> I'd say if google can't find anything relevant, just ask.
>>>

>> I am using a program called ledger (sometimes known as ledger-cli) with
>> a text file for my 'recordkeeping' (what most people call accounting).
>>
>> I have tried to use both vim (and gvim) and emacs and I think I could
>> possibly
>> learn the mountain of pre-wysiwyg codes to use them effectively. Both
>> suffer,
>> in my opinion, in that they don't have a search tool that works in
>> searching for
>> financial data. Yes they have search tools but their quick use has eluded
>> me
>> after quite a number of tries. I only have so much time in my life and
>> entering
>> financial information isn't what I want to spend 20% of my life on - -
>> - training
>> someone else to use the system I'm presently using WITH these cumbersome
>> and awkward search tools - - - I'm thinking what I would need is a serious
>> programmer type - - - and why would they want to work as a bookkeeper
>> for my business? (This preamble is the why.)
>>
>> So now to the issue (the what). When I open a file (text file) in geany
>> the
>> physical layout is different than when I open it in vim/emacs (and
>> seemingly
>> most of the other text editors I've tried).
>>
>> Eg
>>
>> 2016.01.03 (2 tab spaces)     Company name
>> 1 tab space Expense: widgets: 5202.01.02.01    (a number of tab spaces) $
>> 1.00
>> 1 tab space Asset: account bank xyw: 1023.01.02.02       (")
>>         $-1.00
>>
>> I am using a mono-spaced font  as I want the decimals to line up in the
>> right,
>> the beginning of both Expense and Asset (or whatever else that I'm using)
>> are
>> 1 tab space (when I can set things I've been trying to use either 4 or 5
>> spaces
>> for 1 tab) of indentation.
>>
>> Sometimes there areas many as 6 or 7 Expense listings, there are sometimes
>> 2 or 3 Asset listings. What is goofy is that when the text is aligned
>> in Geany - - -
>> well its NOT in Leafpad, vim or emacs. Switching between Leafpad vim or
>> emacs does not seem to create this morphing.
>>
>> I would like to stay with Geany because geany offers me the option of
>> creating
>> routines that I can call at the command line and then (hopefully) insert
>> what I
>> have called into the file (looking at using awk at the moment). Why
>> I'm doing this
>> is quite a bit more complicated than this delineated 'confusion' so for
> [...]

Thanks for the response!

I checked - - - its a font called Monospace on my Debian 'stable' read 'Jessie'
vm. All editors have the tab width set to 4 spaces (after checking previously
- - - - I did try to find the problem!).

What makes this confusing is that the single tab width at the beginning of the
line is never different. The 2 tab spaces after the date is almost never an
issue - - - but the end of the line $ amounts - - - well it shifts - -
- sometimes
to the right and sometimes to the left. Doesn't seem to be any consistency
to it. That's why I'm totally puzzled as to how to fix.

Regards

Dee