[Geany-Users] Executing files in Geany on Windows 10 - cmd.exe?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Feb 15 23:57:38 UTC 2016

On 15/02/16 20:07, Tony MacCabe wrote:
> Hello,
> When I execute a .py file from Geany with default settings, it runs in a C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe window. Is this expected?
> I was expecting it to run in some other shell, just like it does in IDLE.
> Thanks.

The described behaviour of Geany is expected and is the same on
non-Windows: the edited file is executed as a Python module.

IDLE just does something else. It seems it runs the module in an
interactive interpreter session.
In theory, it should be possible to do something similar with Geany,
it's probably just a matter of the correct Python interpreter invocation.

However, you probably won't overcome the cmd.exe as the underlying
"terminal".

You can freely change the command Geany executes via Build -> Set Build
Commands.